Week 6 Topic 1 / Newspapers

I get my local news from the Gazette Times in Corvallis online usually. Sometimes I get news from other sources too such as Google News and The Daily Barometer as well as The Corvallis Advocate. Mostly news is on the bottom of my priorities list though as I am a full time student and that takes up so much time that I often miss out on anything other than my daily hike and martial arts training which is at the top of my list. Being in great physical, mental, and emotional condition is top priority because if I don't have health then nothing else will really matter much.
In so far as making sure the news I get is accurate and credible, I use a format that I borrowed from http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/12/05/503581220/fake-or-real-how-to-self-check-the-news-and-get-the-facts

This site is NPR's, Oregon Public Broadcasting. In her article, "Fake or Real? How to Self-Check The News And Get The Facts," published on December 5, 2016, Wynne Davis mentioned six tips for getting accurate and credible information which I have used since reading the article. Paraphrasing Davis, these six tips include:

1. Pay attention to the domain and URL. For example, abcnews.com is a legitimate news source, but abcnews.com.co is not, despite it's similar appearance.

2. Read the "About Us" section. For example, language should be straight forward. If it's melodramatic and seems overblown, you should be skeptical.

3. Look at the quotes in the story or rather look for the lack of quotes. Many credible stories quote and cite very often. After looking at quotes, do the research and check out the studies with a critical eye.

4. Look at who said them to ensure that quoted material is reputable.

5. Check the comments for online news. If a lot of comments call out the article for being fake or misleading, it probably is Davis said.

6. Reverse image search. After right-clicking the image on Google to search the image, it is goo to check if the image is appearing on a lot of stories about many different topics. There is a good chance it's not actually an image of what it said it was on the first page. Many journalist's take their on-site pictures and relate directly to the story.

Of course their is more to verification that the above mentioned material such as knowing the ethical standards of journalism from a variety of reputable sites. This material also will help in identifying if the stories or news I plug into has any elements of unethical or misleading information. Much like pseudoscience, a lot of news appears to be real when it is not.

I do not pay for online subscriptions because there is so much information for free that is credible online. I do not feel guilt for free information because many companies who offer for free are ad supported and they get paid by advertisers who pay a lot of money to advertise to their member bases. Secondly, I am a college student and I live on beans and noodles that I get from charitable food pantries so I simply cannot afford the expense. I feel that it is important to be well-informed however, for the time being, I am doing all I can to contribute to a better society in the best way I know how which is first to get an academic education. I do not feel irresponsible as a citizen because of my dedication to doing the best that I can with what I have got.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give my rating as a 2 in so far as my confidence that I am well informed about current events, what is going on in my community or society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topic 2: Fake News

Media Project Blog 2 / Topic 1 / Advertising and Public Relations