Week 8 / Topic 1 Banned Books and your Bookshelf

1. Do you see any books on the ALA list that you've read or know about? List some of them and what you thought of the book.

 I saw some books that were on the ALA website list. These books were contested or requested to be made unavailable for reasons such as conflict with religious beliefs, moral beliefs, and so on. The books that I took note of were:

The Holy Bible- 2013
The Glass Castle, Jeanette Walls - 2012
The Hunger Games, Trilogy, Suzanne Collins - 2011
Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck- 2003

I have no problem with the books and feel that they are good reads.

2. What's your take on limiting access to various books and other materials in public schools or local libraries? Do objections seem reasonable?

Well, this is a tough question. On one hand, I think natural inoculation from exposure to bad or negative things seems plausible. I do not tell my sons what to believe. When they ask me questions, I do not tell them to read a book about what someone else said in the first place. I ask them what they think? Then I tell them that there are a lot of books that I personally like and that reading is great (and I tell them this through my behavior) and that being internally directed is the best route to go. I also tell them that before they consult an authority on a subject or read a book, do so with an open mind that is open to everything but attached to nothing. I also home-schooled my boys because I was a travelling investigator for an international agency and our family could not reside in one place for very long. Knowing what I know about the world and seeing things most don't have the opportunity to see- I tell them not to listen to anybody and not to believe everything they read or hear. Hear but don't listen is my families way.

In speculation of the majority who do have their kids in school, I would say that it is reasonable for the parents to object for very young children up to their teen years for those are most impressionable. For teens, I think it would be better for parents to teach their teenagers to avoid things that could be harmful but not shut their eyes and awareness of those things. I certainly think it is okay to investigate and read whatever their is. Lastly, I think that their is not an objective answer. Everything being relative is primarily subjective. I would have a stronger stance if I was like most of the population however, my families life is so radically different that I truly do not think my opinion would or even should hold much weight.

3. Now think about the bookshelves at your home. List some books and authors that visitors would find on your bookshelves. What do those books and writers tell us about you and your interests/passions?

Another tough question! I have no bookshelves in my home and I don't allow most visitors in my home. Sometimes I let people in after I have known them for some time but this is rare and when I do, I only permit them to stay in the dining area. Part of my work involves being a bit clandestine and so I will continue by sharing a few books I have read and re-read and the author.

 These books to the left and below are books that I have read many times. Richard Bach is the author. I think this would tell visitors that I am a person who likes depth, meaning, metaphors, a blend of the physical and metaphysical in such a way that they appear seamless. I think visitors might see that I am a spiritual being having a human experience. I also think people might think that I like flying.


I have come to love literary fiction and have found great satisfaction in seeing, feeling, and hearing about meaningful perspectives of peoples internal and external lives.


 I realize that if we are lucky, we all have about 75 summers to live. Everyone has their story- their life story- their sense of purpose and meaning. I practice non-interference and choose to do my work quietly. I don't waste time in thinking of things I have no control over. I know that life is unpredictable and that their are no guarantees and so each day is the last day.

That is what I would hope people would see as my interests/passion.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media Project Blog 2 / Topic 1 / Advertising and Public Relations

Topic 2: WIKILEAKS

Week 6 Topic 1 / Newspapers