Topic 2: Campus Radio

1. What do you think of this idea? Does it seem feasible to you? Why or Why not?

I think the idea is fantastic! I think it would be great for Journalism/Media students for starters and then all students for that matter. Local school news, student radio auctions, announcements, and of course a very wide variety of music. I think it is very feasible. I think it could be staffed by students per term and counted as work/school experience, and even have a small recording studio. Who says there couldn't be a poetry day, or whatever? The sky is the limit. I would take the classes and sign up.

2. What Two programs/formats/services would you recommend the station adopt in order to build loyal niche audience. Be specific, give examples. 

I would certainly recommend that the station offer advertising services and of course keep it minimized which could help fund more field work such as student reporters and the like. I would also recommend the auction/trader which could help students with resources such as apartment rentals, car pooling, used books, tutoring, supplies such as laptops and/or desktop computers, and part time work, things like that. Of course the work is trading if you look at it that way- trading time for money or resources. Also, I would do student surveys and provide times for specific genres to be aired and allow call requests..

3. How would you recommend the students fund this venture? Be specific, give examples. 

First I would recommend that every student who pays for college including the student's benefactor/s petition the Department of Education to provide funding for a campus radio and make it mandatory for funds to go to this venue in every single state! I would recommend not halting until this is done and seen as real education in the real world we live in.

Okay, now that I am done ranting. I would recommend crowdfunding such as Kick-starter for securing the funds to start and operate for at least the first five years. Second I would write the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for a grant. Next, I would meet with the local (Linn and Benton County) Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, local business associations, sponsors such as small businesses and large, and a few trips to the White House. What is media education without a dose of actual experience with hands-on learning?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topic 2: Fake News

Media Project Blog 2 / Topic 1 / Advertising and Public Relations

Week 6 Topic 1 / Newspapers